X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wooden steering wheel date codes?

This topic is a being created as a home for questions arising from a for sale listing by
    1967s_307184s
    F-N-G
    1967s_307184s for the following steering wheel:

Click image for larger version

Name:	woodenwheel.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	155.1 KB
ID:	2435

Is there a date on it?

Comment

Originally posted by D Zimmer View Post
      Is there a date on it?
      Yes, 7.67.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3274.jpg
Views:	376
Size:	141.8 KB
ID:	1659

Comment

With all due respect, can someone school me please? I see 76, not 7/67 unless there is a different way to read the date. I am not questioning the authenticity, I have a very similar VDM 380mm wheel that I don't think has date markings.

Comment

Originally posted by speedo View Post
          With all due respect, can someone school me please? I see 76, not 7/67 unless there is a different way to read the date. I am not questioning the authenticity, I have a very similar VDM 380mm wheel that I don't think has date markings.
          It's pretty common knowledge how these wheels were date stamped.

Comment

Originally posted by 1967s_307184s View Post

It's pretty common knowledge how these wheels were date stamped.
            Not for me it isn't. I own and have owned early wood wheels with no stamps, with 2-digit stamps, with 3-digit stamps, and with 4-digit stamps. Some appeared to be potential date stamps based on the digits while others were clearly not. If anyone has decisive information on these stamps, which ones are date codes, which ones are not, and why/when the differences occurred, I'd love to hear it. I gave up on dating wooden wheels long ago.

This one is very pretty, btw. GLWS.

Comment

Maybe this is interesting for you

Wood Steering Wheel Dates | 912 BBS - powered by 912 Registry

Comment

I was part of that original discussion on the 912 Registry all those years ago, cited by Enoz05 in the link above. At that time, it was understood that the proposed interpretation of numbers on VDM wood wheels was hypothetical; possible but not proven. Over time, that original discussion morphed into "pretty common knowledge" (post #5 above). However, I have never seen any confirmation that 1) the numbers on wooden VDM wheels represent date codes, or 2) any verified Rosetta Stone as to how to translate the numbers to dates. If anyone has such proof, it would be a service to the community to share it, please.

Comment

Originally posted by JP View Post

Not for me it isn't. I own and have owned early wood wheels with no stamps, with 2-digit stamps, with 3-digit stamps, and with 4-digit stamps. Some appeared to be potential date stamps based on the digits while others were clearly not. If anyone has decisive information on these stamps, which ones are date codes, which ones are not, and why/when the differences occurred, I'd love to hear it. I gave up on dating wooden wheels long ago.

This one is very pretty, btw. GLWS.
                  Hey JP, I just realized that I innocently turned this into a Q and A thread instead of a FS thread. The guy wants to sell his very nice VDM wheel. Can we move this discussion? I am not an expert, but would like to learn more. If we move it we have the opportunity to post some pics and learn more from the experts....ahem, and Frank.

Comment

Originally posted by speedo View Post

Hey JP, I just realized that I innocently turned this into a Q and A thread instead of a FS thread. The guy wants to sell his very nice VDM wheel. Can we move this discussion? I am not an expert, but would like to learn more. If we move it we have the opportunity to post some pics and learn more from the experts....ahem, and Frank.
                    Done!

Comment

I have several wooden steering wheels in my shop and on my cars. I'm going to do some research this weekend and report back.

Comment

Originally posted by raspritz View Post
                        I was part of that original discussion on the 912 Registry all those years ago, cited by Enoz05 in the link above. At that time, it was understood that the proposed interpretation of numbers on VDM wood wheels was hypothetical; possible but not proven. Over time, that original discussion morphed into "pretty common knowledge" (post #5 above). However, I have never seen any confirmation that 1) the numbers on wooden VDM wheels represent date codes, or 2) any verified Rosetta Stone as to how to translate the numbers to dates. If anyone has such proof, it would be a service to the community to share it, please.
                        I love this post. So true and I’ve also seen it with other things, “pretty common knowledge” but no one ever provides the proof.

Comment

I've got 3 in my office, and I glanced at them yesterday.. noting that 2 of the 3 have 4 digit codes. I'll take pics and post.

E
                          Reminiscing the old days,.. only brings more regret...

www.autoforeignservices.com
                          autoforeign@gmail.com
                          67S's......

Comment

Thanks,
                            enoz05. Very interesting.

Comment

I have a couple I'll look at as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X