Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you have a factory AC car, please help!

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you have a factory AC car, please help!

So, the discussion in the other thread about my front latch panel issue hasn't provided any resolution (but lots of great discussion regarding hardware minutia) and I am still in need of a correct panel for my 1972 factory AC 911S. This is how it should look:

Click image for larger version  Name:	latch.jpg Views:	0 Size:	134.1 KB ID:	8810

I spoke with Alex at Restoration Design and he's not currently making the panel with the large round hole for the blower motor but he'd like to and I've offered to help.

The question is when this panel with the round hole came into existence. I have three factory AC longhoods but they are all 72/73 cars. It'd be great if members with earlier cars equipped with FACTORY AC could chime in as to whether or not their cars have this hole for the blower motor.
    JP
    aka LiveFromNY
    Last edited by JP; 12-06-2022, 11:48 AM.

My old 71 had the same hole.
    Former British Leyland mechanic, remember them?
    Long Beach, CA

Comment

Originally posted by Tom F2 View Post
      My old 71 had the same hole.
      Thanks, Tom!

Comment

If it had a front condenser then it had that hole. When did Behr A/C start? I think 69 but not sure if it came at the beginning of LWB or later on.

I’ve done a number of A/C systems but to be honest they have all been 72-73.

And all cars with a front condenser and blower motor up front would have a washer bottle relocated up near the cardboard divider on the steering wheel side.

Comment

My 70S had factory AC, Behr but, the blower was mounted in the smuggler box. No hole in the front latch panel and no front condenser like 72/73.

Comment

Originally posted by 70SATMan View Post
            My 70S had factory AC, Behr but, the blower was mounted in the smuggler box. No hole in the front latch panel and no front condenser like 72/73.
            Hold on, blower in the smugglers box was the cold air blown through evaporator. This has nothing to do with the fan in the trunk over the front condenser. separate systems doing different things.

I would say we need pictures of a 70-71 factory A/C trunk. And 69 if that exists. 70SATMan Did your car have a single condenser? Was it on the deck lid and that’s all it got? They ONLY way to verify this is good pictures of a first generation Behr A/C car. I had a 71 T once with factory ac, need to dig up pics but I’m probably far too busy to do that.

Comment

My factory AC May 1972 car originally came with the hole in the front latch panel. In restoration, the front latch panel was replaced with the Restoration Design one that comes without the hole. The hole was then cut later using the original fan housing and front duct for localization.

I made a 3D print file that I used to print a replacement front duct that was broken. The motor cover and duct were 3D printed in PETG and then bead blasted to look more homogenous.

**JP if you PM me your mailing address, I can 3D print a 'sacrificial' duct that you can sand down to fit inside the tub and then use it to localize and mark your cut accurately. Just leave the motor out of the blower unit and you can then mark the hole from the inside where the blower motor would normally live after strapping the unit down.

(Images courtesy of Techweenie)

Click image for larger version

Name:	image0.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	125.7 KB
ID:	8959 Click image for larger version

Name:	image1.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	140.5 KB
ID:	8960

Comment

That’s cool, finally a part that a 3D printer can make for old Porsches, I don’t know of many. The original plastic ducts and fan cover can be brittle, crack easy, or get damaged during removal or storage.

Comment

Originally posted by VintageExcellence View Post

Hold on, blower in the smugglers box was the cold air blown through evaporator. This has nothing to do with the fan in the trunk over the front condenser. separate systems doing different things.

I would say we need pictures of a 70-71 factory A/C trunk. And 69 if that exists. 70SATMan Did your car have a single condenser? Was it on the deck lid and that’s all it got? They ONLY way to verify this is good pictures of a first generation Behr A/C car. I had a 71 T once with factory ac, need to dig up pics but I’m probably far too busy to do that.
                  Sorry for the delay. Yeah, single condenser on the deck lid. Washer fluid bottle and pump mounted on the latch panel.

I was going through my original 72/73 parts manual and remembered this thread. As has been mentioned, only one PN referenced for the front sheet metal. Another oddity, the Behr AC System in my 72/73 manual is labeled “Not for US”. Just gotta love it sometimes, HA!

Comment

Working...
                  X