Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do we attract more young people to the world of early 911's?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Druepy View Post
    That's very nice but no. Engineer by day, novice video maker by night. I edited the video and reuploaded to fix the issue.
    I have a love/hate relationship with engineers.... some days a hate/hate relationship.
    What do you work on?

Comment

Originally posted by sebaroher View Post

I have a love/hate relationship with engineers.... some days a hate/hate relationship.
      What do you work on?
      I feel like that’s understandable ha. I work in the med device industry. What about you?

Comment

Originally posted by Druepy View Post

I feel like that’s understandable ha. I work in the med device industry. What about you?
        I'm an aircraft mechanic. Specifically, Boeing 737.

Comment

Originally posted by rgupta250 View Post
          JP,

Great topic as I have wondered the very same thing. One of the biggest challenges with attracting young people to the world of early Porsches is financial! When you think about how much these cars cost, the parts, and upkeep, most individuals who are in their early 30s and 40s simply don't have the income levels to participate. Furthermore, when it comes to time commitment, they often have competing priorities such as spending time with their significant other, time helping raise a young family, and furthering their career.

But those issues aside, if we focus on engagement then we need to look at how the younger car-crazed crowd engages within their respective car community. I would then try to bring some of these elements to E911R.

/Ravi

Engaging younger enthusiasts in the realm of early Porsches can be challenging due to financial constraints and time commitments. These iconic cars' costs, parts, and upkeep can be prohibitive for those in their 30s and 40s with various responsibilities. To foster engagement, integrating aspects from the younger car enthusiast community into E911R could prove effective.free fire name

Comment

Originally posted by Aliyaaii View Post

Engaging younger enthusiasts in the realm of early Porsches can be challenging due to financial constraints and time commitments. These iconic cars' costs, parts, and upkeep can be prohibitive for those in their 30s and 40s with various responsibilities. To foster engagement, integrating aspects from the younger car enthusiast community into E911R could prove effective.free fire name

Mr. Bot,

Pretty sure we’re all in agreement on that.
            Old, white cisgender male oppressor.
            Influencer/Life Coach.

www.beckseuropean.com

Comment

Maybe if the building of the cars was made more transparent
            If they saw people building the cars with sweat equity. It would give them a possibility that they could participate.
            That is how i got into it.
            the love of it bloomed as the success of building progressed.

Comment

Originally posted by bob joyce View Post
              Maybe if the building of the cars was made more transparent
              If they saw people building the cars with sweat equity. It would give them a possibility that they could participate.
              I just don't see young guys who have any interest in these old cars. Face it; it's an old, affluent guy's hobby.
              Influencer/Life Coach.

www.beckseuropean.com

Comment

I think there's one additional component: the new cars are great

Remember the years after the "longhood" era ? 75-77 911's were trash compared to a 2.2/2.4 "S", even worse for the muscle car scene

Today's Porsche GT cars (specifically 6MT GT3) and the muscle cars are not only soooo much faster than the old cars, but they're well built (esp muscle cars) and actually handle and stop. They start on the first try, don't rust and (GT3) DO have a lot of character. Yes totally different but a lot of soul. Bad part is the douchbaggery one must endure to actually buy one.

I've owned every thing from 72T & 72S to 997 GT3RS 3.8 & 991 GT3; every time I drive my "dream" car (73S with sunroof) I'm disappointed

YMMV

Comment

Our early cars are "iconic" to us, but not to our kids, much less our grandkids, to whom they are antique cars. I started the grandkids early, driving Spa on my racing simulator, now their favorite "toy". Then the other night, for the first time they asked to go out to the garage and see, sit in, and hear the cars. 911 TurboS....meh. 718 Cayman GTS....WOW. '69 911...WHOA!!
                  Last edited by raspritz; 08-17-2023, 09:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by wsh View Post
                    I think there's one additional component: the new cars are great.

Bad part is the douchbaggery one must endure to actually buy one.

I've owned every thing from 72T & 72S to 997 GT3RS 3.8 & 991 GT3; every time I drive my "dream" car (73S with sunroof) I'm disappointed

YMMV
                    Traitor!!

Truth be told the older I get, the more inconvenient old cars are. If I want a “challenge” I’ll get in a race car or casually mention to my mother in law the sky is blue.

True dat on the douchebaggery of the newer car crowd.

Influencer/Life Coach.

www.beckseuropean.com

Comment

True, new cars are very convenient but boring. I think its fun to just enjoy the sound, smells and shifting up and down through the gears of a manual. I don't get the 915 hate, its smooth and delicate.
                      I started taking my Granddaughter to the HCR about 3 or 4 years ago and she loves to go. She went through my trunk and wears my old "Huffaker Racing Daytona 1990" t-shirt constantly. Along with the Tees from here and the HCR's. Just started Senior year in HS.

Comment

Yes David, the smell of burned oil and gasoline permeating clothing is absolute magic! And don't forget the sweetness of a wife's protests about those smells.

For me? I'll take the racecar-fast exhilaration of my 991 TurboS while enjoying frosty-cold A/C all day long before beating myself up in a long hood. They have their place... for maybe 1-2 hours a week during cool weather.
                        Influencer/Life Coach.

www.beckseuropean.com

Comment

Your aging Frank

Comment

BTW: If there IS a generation that we’ll impact, I believe it’s our grandchildren. My very young grandkids love cars and I’m confident when the time comes I will be able to easily bribe them with something cool to drive that has 3 pedals. However, expecting them to want to work on them or restore one is probably a bridge too far.
                            Influencer/Life Coach.

www.beckseuropean.com

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Beck View Post
                              BTW: If there IS a generation that we’ll impact, I believe it’s our grandchildren. My very young grandkids love cars and I’m confident when the time comes I will be able to easily bribe them with something cool to drive that has 3 pedals. However, expecting them to want to work on them or restore one is probably a bridge too far.
                              I hope my daughter enjoys my car, it should be ready by the time she's ready for college... All jokes aside, I agree with your earlier comment about it being an "old, affluent guys hobby." Not many "average" guys/gals in their 20's-30's willing to dig into a crusty $30k+ "project car" that needs everything replaced, let alone a "driver" for 60k+ I expect in 10-15 years time when most of the old crowd dies out, the majority of the cars will end up in "affluent guy's" garage sitting as assets.

Comment

Working...
                              X