Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do we attract more young people to the world of early 911's?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A bigger question is who will know how to fix them?

Comment

All excellent points presented.

Many decades ago when I started driving I had a POS vehicle, minimal cash and zero repair experience.

In my (arrogant, even then) mind, the mechanics were not any smarter than me, they just had tools, knowledge and experience. I bought tools, read books (over and over and over again) and started turning my own wrenches to keep my wheels rolling.

Then I was hooked...

That is contrasted w/ the younger generation. When my girls were growing, the high school parking lot had AMAZING vehicles in the student section and POS vehicles in the teacher section. My girls weren't interested in a Packled vehicle, they wanted something very nice.

I've always appreciated the simple beauty of older machines.

The funny thing is my daughter's boyfriend is much more of a gear head than me, but IMO that is MUCH more of the exception than the rule w/ that generation.

Comment

I'm always surprised at how many 20 somethings are interested in Porsche. And awesome as the early 911s are, a nice Cayman or Boxster can also be had for well under 30. Certainly less than a tricked out Civic Type R or a Golf Type R. At least it's a place to start and build interest.

Comment

One other thought. I've noticed that the younger people that are intrigued with Porsche, and driving in general, seem to be the ones more interested in other analog pursuits as well - film cameras, vinyl, vacuum tube amplifiers, automatic watches, mid century architecture. My limited data points have shown a fair number of younger people wanting a more hands on approach to their stuff.

Comment

what the 912 registry is doing is a fine example of what can/should be done.
            there you find an abundance of people who want to help a new owner or someone that is having a problem find a solution.
            i would suggest the firming of 912 values has something to do with new owners finding sincere help and fellowship.

Comment

Thx. If the deal on the 70 Targa goes through a 912 is next. Love these early cars. Alas I’m 65 too! It went by so fast since I bought that first 944 in 1986!

Comment

Nice 912 siting at Carsortium in Staunton, VA. Restored and the owner apparently has no desire to keep it now. 3 gauge car, Sliver over black. The chrome was done to a high degree.

Comment

Sent PM with contact information.

Comment

Working...
                X