Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• aaahhhh, wow! the alfa turns out beautifully…..
    gorgeous…. looking forward to more news on her..
    erwin_loves_polo

Comment

• Originally posted by haul View Post
      aaahhhh, wow! the alfa turns out beautifully…..
      gorgeous…. looking forward to more news on her..
      Thanks! Can't wait to see and drive her on Saturday!

Comment

• I've been waiting for the latest teaser shot from the guys at Differs...

And here they are... Really please with the way the Porsche script and bumper stripes look... We were tempted to leave them off, but I think they make Schtroumpf look better... I guess I could have run a poll!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Schtroumpf Porsche Stripe Driver Side.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	160.2 KB
ID:	7098 Click image for larger version

Name:	Schtroumpf Porsche Stripe Front 3:4.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	123.6 KB
ID:	7099

Comment

• Originally posted by dwa911 View Post

Thanks! Can't wait to see and drive her on Saturday!
          I think we miss the report on this very nice built..
          erwin_loves_polo

Comment

• hahaha... clearly the Alfa is winning here...

So we picked up the Alfaholics 101 Spider-R on Saturday... 200 mile motorway run home in 35 degrees... It was a little warm... 4,000 RPM is about 85 MPH, and not that bad for 3.5 hours on the motorway...

Tucked away in her new garage home, and an early Sunday morning seaside coastal drive to Dungeness from Sandgate - to the "End of the Line Cafe"... And, sure enough someone else had the same idea... a guy with an Lotus Elan 50 GP win commemorative edition in JPS black and gold sparkle...

Can ran like the little jewel that she is... we were really impressed with the build and the blend of comfort and sportiness in the suspension, etc... The engine sings to 7,200 RPM - the agreed rev limit... and is just a joy... A few little things for the snag list, and will be addressed on her next visit back to Alfaholics...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Alfa home 1.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	172.4 KB
ID:	7105 Click image for larger version

Name:	Alfa home 2.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	7106 Click image for larger version

Name:	Alfa home 3.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	7104 Click image for larger version

Name:	Alfa Dungeness 1.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	166.1 KB
ID:	7107 Click image for larger version

Name:	Alfa Dungeness 2.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	154.2 KB
ID:	7109 Click image for larger version

Name:	Alfa Dungeness 3.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	160.7 KB
ID:	7108 Click image for larger version

Name:	Alfa Dungeness 4.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	7111 Click image for larger version

Name:	Alfa Dungeness 5.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	253.3 KB
ID:	7110

Comment

• I am happily impressed by this gorgeous looks and the stunning color choice…just wow… and a 105 engine reving at this rpm is sure a pure joy to
              listen and drive….

bienvenuti a la familia

all the best from bavaria

haul
              erwin_loves_polo

Comment

• Originally posted by haul View Post
                I am happily impressed by this gorgeous looks and the stunning color choice…just wow… and a 105 engine reving at this rpm is sure a pure joy to
                listen and drive….

bienvenuti a la familia

all the best from bavaria

haul
                Thanks Haul... It is the first Alfa I have ever driven, let alone owned... I am pleasantly surprised and impressed as well... brilliant little car... I can see why they gave Porsche some good competition in racing...

Comment

• Always good to keep the wife happy! Great color choice.
                  Alfas are what first got me interested in motorsports. An unauthorized drive a la Ferris Bueller in my best friends Dad's rallye car. A Conrero modified Giulietta '59 vintage... intoxicating.

Comment

• One concern, no shoulder harness or seat belt?

Comment

• Originally posted by flatsixer View Post
                      Always good to keep the wife happy! Great color choice.
                      Alfas are what first got me interested in motorsports. An unauthorized drive a la Ferris Bueller in my best friends Dad's rallye car. A Conrero modified Giulietta '59 vintage... intoxicating.
                      Thanks for the kind words! Indeed, it is always good to keep the wife happy - easy if she is in to cars! Nice! My unauthorised drive, was nicking my brother's 65 mustang fastback with a 289 HiPo 4 speed... I think I still have marks on my rear-end from my dad's belt... And of course the "this hurts me more than it hurts you"...

The Alfaholics guys spent a lot of time figuring out how to mount 3 point seatbelts so they would be functional, safe and not get in the way of the top going up and down... They did a great job... Although, TBH, after driving home on the motorway and realising how tiny and exposed the little Alfa is compared to even a modern Fiat 500, let alone a BMW or SUV... I'm not sure seatbelts will matter if we are ever in an accident...

Comment

• Lovely photos of your Alfa and especially it's 'motorhome', very efficient !
                        As for Alfa giving Porsche some competition.. I have owned two GTA's and a Coda Tronca SZ, in my estimation neither holds a candle to period 911's, in overall build quality or performance.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aussie24 View Post
                          Lovely photos of your Alfa and especially it's 'motorhome', very efficient !
                          As for Alfa giving Porsche some competition.. I have owned two GTA's and a Coda Tronca SZ, in my estimation neither holds a candle to period 911's, in overall build quality or performance.
                          Thanks for the kind words... As this is the first Alfa, I've owned, will completely go with your experience with the GTAs and SZ... I was thinking more the old Chuck Stoddard days in the late 50s, early 60s (pre-911) when he won SCCA national championship in a Giulietta Spider Veloce... I'm guessing against 356s... But, don't really know TBH... In any case, love this car, but it isn't even close to the 911...

Comment

• Aussie24
                            Aussie24
                            Aussie24 commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Both Chuck and I were automobile dealers back then, he was an excellent driver and did well in SCCA...he was able to campaign in most if not all events and had an advantage over competitors who could only do closer events...plus he always had the latest mods..To my knowledge he never race a GTA...

• No first drive updates?

Comment

• Originally posted by flatsixer View Post
                            No first drive updates?
                            Sorry... Started a new role 5 weeks ago, and all consuming...

The Alfa drives amazing... Wife is super happy... There were a few minor snags, and few things we are looking to fine tune... Not this is fine tuning of what is a fantastic car, just dialling it in to my wife's tastes and feedback...

1) the original 101 spider chassis were designed without any real caster... so the self centering could be a bit better... we are looking at how we can add some... was done with shims back in the day... we may look at slightly different geo in the A-arms, etc... or may just stick to what worked in the day... more on that later...
                            2) the steering gets progressively heavier as more steering input is added, so we will play with running on Pirelli CN36 vs modern tires to see if that has any impact...
                            3) on occasion, there is a small exhaust smell that makes its way into the cockpit at certain speeds... seems to be higher speeds 80+ MPH on motorways... imagine it is the aero vacuum created and the exhaust is straight out behind the driver (I'm not an aerodynamicist, so this is conjecture on my part based on the amount of turbulent air blowing forward in the cockpit)... later Alfa spiders - mid 60s and later - had a turned down tail pipe tip, so we may experiment with that to see if that...
                            4) a few minor scratches in the paint on the underside of the chassis that are easy to take care of
                            5) a very slight weep of oil from the sandwich plate for oil cooler lines between filter and block... replaced the gasket, and solved...

That's it... more later

Shakedown for Schtroumpf will happen on 24 SEP... My wife and I will drive over to the Netherlands early morning (about 4.5 hrs from where we live in the UK - 35 min on the Eurotunnel and quick drive through France, Belgium and into the NL) have lunch with the Leon and Joost, etc... and head out for a few hours to see if there are any snags we see or fine tuning to be done... Then the guys will sort, and we will do again a couple weeks later... Then She comes home!

Cheers!

Comment

• Nice update. apart from the exhaust tip, check that your trunk seal is well placed and doing its job. I've had this problem on several cars and amazing as it sounds exhaust fumes were being sucked by a leaking trunk seal.
                              Cant wait to hear more about Schtroumpf!

Comment

Working...
                              X