Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More than price, I enjoy seeing the level of interest on BaT generated by canonical cars of the classic European sports car genre. Here’s a lovely 67S coupe that is sixth in popularity on the list of BaT long hoods: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...911s-coupe-14/

Here is my Alfa that is also a sixth-place finisher in popularity but in the Alfa 750/101 category: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...etta-spider-6/

The numbers for the Porsche are 41 bids, 2,263 watchers, 54,693 views. For the Alfa, 48 bids, 1,288 watchers, 28,784 views. I believe that many of the views are post-auction.

I was struck by the indifference to originality among the Alfisti generally and the folks with questions during my auction in particular. No one came to see it! If my Spider had been a Convertible D, I think that the audience would have been more appreciative and the price higher.

This crowd may accuse me of heresy, but Porsche in the 50s couldn’t hold a candle to Pininfarina for style and the quality wasn’t all that different.

Porsches are twice as popular as Alfas, I guess. But fewer bids for the Porsche might reflect a market that is more certain about price.

I predict that Eric’s car will blow past the sixth-place 911S. What do others make of the stats?

The folks at BaT must have a ton of fun with the data that they gather.
    Former British Leyland mechanic, remember them?
    Long Beach, CA

Comment

That is a lovely Alfa! I've always had a soft spot for them as my father had several.

Comment

Nice Alfa! and of course Eric's targa...

A slight highjack...

My wife wanted a 356 cabriolet, and while I was searching for one, about 5 years ago, we saw a 750 Alfa Giulietta spider in Celeste Blue driving on the coast in the south of France while we were on holiday there, and she was smitten... After the weeks of me asking - "are you sure... really sure"... I decided to do some research... I had never driven an Alfa, being firmly in the Porsche camp... but, I had always admired their racing efforts... the early GP days of course, the 50s Giulietta, Tipo 33s and GTAs, and of course the 33 Stradale is one of the most beautiful cars ever made... After a little research, and being lucky to be in the UK - home of Alfaholics (link for those not already familiar - https://www.alfaholics.com), I went to see the Banks brothers, they've taken over from their father, and have built quite a reputation and business in parts restoration of classic Alfa, historic racing (they have quite the trophy case in historic racing against really tough competition), andtheir GTA-R restomods ... Their GTA-Rs are sort of like Singer is to Porsche... Not exactly the same, but similar... and after a few chats with them, we commissioned a build... Check this videos out (https://youtu.be/5083_Z1BCTw)(https://youtu.be/9BuZmJmpTdk)... Gordon Murray had a Zagato 105 done in the style - with some of his mods (https://www.alfaholics.com/our-cars/completed-builds/alfaholics-zagato-r-019/), and what a beauty it is...

And, to your point Tom...

Originality goes out the window for valuation in Alfa world unless you have a race car or GTA, etc... - as evidenced by their builds, cost and waiting list... They are booked until 2030, and no longer taking people on the wait list! We commissioned a 101 Alfa Giulia Spider - in the mode of, what if Alfa built a GTA spider 101? So, 1964 Alfa 101 Giulia Spider donor - 2 owner California car, and GTA door handles, slimmed bumpers vs de-bumpered... 750 tail lights (they just look better IMHO), and mods to the floor and tunnel to provide better seating position for me (6'1" - 185cm) and my wife (5'5" - 165cm), among their normal GTA-R suspension, gearbox, engine mods... and a non original in 1964 Alfa colour... 4 years in the making... going through final shakedown now - for delivery in July... It is build number 22 (https://www.alfaholics.com/our-cars/current-builds/)

I admit, that I am looking forward to giving her a go, and will probably be the lazy sunny afternoon drive vs. my 911, which will be the hardcore visceral circuit and back road drive... I wonder if my wife will ever get to drive "her" car...

Click image for larger version  Name:	image003.jpg Views:	0 Size:	183.5 KB ID:	4109

Comment

Il Sorpasso!
          What a good looking Alfa!

Comment

it is the paint brush to the appropriate nuts and bolts that vaults this car above ALL others
            well done eric

Comment

the best holiday you can ever do is driving a
              vintage alfa in italy…..

Attached Files
              erwin_loves_polo

Comment

Originally posted by haul View Post
                the best holiday you can ever do is driving a
                vintage alfa in italy…..
                Beautiful... and nice 105... Funny you should say that... We are planning to take it on a trip driving from the UK to, and around Sicily either in late September or early October...

Comment

Originally posted by soterik View Post

Well, It's up an running on BAT!
                  Pending sale post auction!!!! Buyer and seller both happy!

E
                  Reminiscing the old days,.. only brings more regret...

www.autoforeignservices.com
                  autoforeign@gmail.com
                  67S's......

Comment

Fantastic, congrats Eric and Buyer! Such a well restored car, the BaT photos are great references.

Comment

Originally posted by soterik View Post

Pending sale post auction!!!! Buyer and seller both happy!

E
                      EXCELLENT!!!

Joe

Comment

Eric, I don't know how you bit your tongue with some of those comments. Well done. The issue with BaT is the peanut gallery, which is frequently less than informed and applauds cars that clearly have serious issues, and nitpicks cars that are perfect. As for your car, every picture I was just blown away by the work. That car is better than factory new. I'd like to know what demerits they gave you at parade concours. Either way, you should be very proud at your work creating a car like that. I hope it isn't the last. In any case, glad you are happy. I was shocked it was RNM - that was a golden opportunity for someone with the means to name their price for the nicest SWT S in existence, and apart from the RS which is an entirely different animal, easily the best of the longhoods to own. Well done (and thanks again for FedEx'ng the bolts!).

Comment

In a nutshell. You can enter a structurally and cosmetically perfect car with accurate period details and parts and still get dinged. If you have jute fibers on your gas tank from the trunk pad or a tiny piece of tape left on say the suspension its a tenth or more off. The Parade Concours in the end can come down to cleanliness as well as the other criteria.

Comment

Eric, EXCELLENT news my friend. Someone is ending up with an other worldly car at a great price. Glad you’re both happy!

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Shea View Post
                              In a nutshell. You can enter a structurally and cosmetically perfect car with accurate period details and parts and still get dinged. If you have jute fibers on your gas tank from the trunk pad or a tiny piece of tape left on say the suspension its a tenth or more off. The Parade Concours in the end can come down to cleanliness as well as the other criteria.
                              Oh I know. Someone was telling me they got dinged for dirty seat rail grease this year, and I know of an absolutely stunning 356 that got dinged for a glass bubble in its original glass. I don't know why anyone would want to play the game. I just wanted to know if it was dirty seat rail grease, or something more plausible.

Comment

There seems to be very little consensus as to what is correct in the peanut gallery on BAT. I wonder how many of those guys actually have a nice vintage Porsche. And how much time have they spent in the Porsche restoration business.
                                I enjoy building personalized cars. If the owner and I think it's correct, then it's correct. As far as their opinions go, I could care less.

Comment

Working...
                                X