Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The original glass had some scratches and chips…

Click image for larger version

Name:	Glass 1.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	5620

Comment

• Since 1235 wasn’t going to an original or concours car, we decided to replace all the glass with new tinted Porsche glass (Sekurit) all around, and Sigla for the windshield… The logos are different from original, and we had trouble finding Sekurit for the rear heated glass, but eventually we did… I suppose I shouldn’t have really cared if it was all Sekurit as long as it was Porsche glass, but I did for some reason… Can’t really explain why…

Name:	Glass 2.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	5623 Click image for larger version

Name:	Glass 3.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	5622 Click image for larger version

Name:	Glass 4.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	5624 Click image for larger version

Name:	Glass 5.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	5625

Comment

• Then of course another decision on which quarter glass sticker to install… The change over was around March 1973 according to the Carrera RS book by Gruber & Konradsheim… Since 1235 started life in November of 1970, I guess it would be up to me… hmmm…

Name:	sticker-porsche-marken-weltmeister-69-70-71-for-the-inside-of-glasses.jpg
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	5631 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8894.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	5630

Comment

• We decided on the 100 liter fuel tank with fender fill… Wanted to ensure it was baffled…

Name:	100 liter fuel tank 1.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	5633 Click image for larger version

Name:	100 liter fuel tank 3.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	5634

Comment

• Parts were sent out to be plated… I know some are supposed to be silver vs the yellow, but I like the yellow…

Name:	CAD Plate 1.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	146.3 KB
ID:	5636

Comment

• Joost & Leon waiting for me to decide what colour I wanted to paint 1235… They sent me another couple of shades of blue to consider… It is a hard life they lead at Differs…

Name:	Kicking back 918.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	111.6 KB
ID:	5639 Click image for larger version

Name:	Singer.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	168.2 KB
ID:	5638

Comment

• Originally posted by dwa911 View Post
                Then of course another decision on which quarter glass sticker to install… The change over was around March 1973 according to the Carrera RS book by Gruber & Konradsheim… Since 1235 started life in November of 1970, I guess it would be up to me… hmmm…

Name:	sticker-porsche-marken-weltmeister-69-70-71-for-the-inside-of-glasses.jpg
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	5631 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8894.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	5630
                I put both on! Albert blue car is nice, a Singer?

Comment

• Originally posted by flatsixer View Post

I put both on! Albert blue car is nice, a Singer?
                  Lol! I hadn't thought about that! Did you put 1 on each side or both on the same side? Do you have photos of placement?

Yep. it's the Monaco commission I believe... TwinSpark is the Singer distributor for Belgium, Luxembourg and the Netherlands... I've seen a couple there...

And they just came by my place taking one of the first DLSs back to the NL from Goodwood for a client... I live a few minutes from the Eurotunnel, so it was easy to have it covered transported to my place, and then the guys could pick it up and drive it back, without too much time driving on the left or the M25...

I was always impressed with the Singers I saw... But not enough that I would have spent the money on one...

The DLS is a whole different thing... I could spend days and weeks just looking at the detail... Things that most people don't notice from photos, like the floating gauges, the detail in the only for Singer Momo wheel, the hollow carbon headrests in the only for singer recaro seats, the reprofiled roof and guide to direct flow to the ducktail, the added gusset to the door opening blended in so it isn't noticed, the ducktail is about 23mm higher than the original RS, and has a little 5mm gurney flap to aid downforce, that you can't even see, you more have to feel for it... And on and on and on...

And the engine... I can't even begin... The sound...

I don't have the kind of money it takes to buy one, so don't have to contemplate whether I would or not... Besides, all 75 are spoken for with a 35 person waiting list in case one drops out... But, I could look at it for days... And after looking long enough, if I could, I would...

Click image for larger version  Name:	DLS 0.jpg Views:	0 Size:	230.9 KB ID:	5655 Click image for larger version  Name:	DLS 1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	161.0 KB ID:	5652 Click image for larger version  Name:	DLS 2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	146.6 KB ID:	5647 Click image for larger version  Name:	DLS 4.jpg Views:	0 Size:	111.7 KB ID:	5654 Click image for larger version  Name:	DLS 11.jpg Views:	0 Size:	78.6 KB ID:	5650 Click image for larger version  Name:	DLS 5.jpg Views:	0 Size:	170.7 KB ID:	5653 Click image for larger version  Name:	DLS 6.jpg Views:	0 Size:	145.0 KB ID:	5651 Click image for larger version  Name:	DLS 7.jpg Views:	0 Size:	127.1 KB ID:	5649 Click image for larger version  Name:	DLS 9.jpg Views:	0 Size:	99.0 KB ID:	5646 Click image for larger version  Name:	DLS 10.jpg Views:	0 Size:	82.7 KB ID:	5648
                  dwa911
                  Hasta la vista... Baby
                  Last edited by dwa911; 07-16-2022, 01:37 PM.

Comment

• GARAGE:

As if choosing a colour wasn’t all consuming… I needed to start thinking about where we would keep 1235 and my wife’s Alfa 101 Spider when they were done… We had recently moved out of London to the southeast near the sea in Kent… And the house had what was called a 1-car garage… This is a fairly recently built house – 2004 – and the 1-car garage just wasn’t going to cut it…

Name:	Garage 1.png
Views:	157
Size:	104.0 KB
ID:	5667

Apologies to any UK folks reading this, but what is considered a 1-car garage in the UK just isn’t… It is a storage shed… It is possible to pull a car in, but not to then open the doors of the car… Unfortunately, we were boxed in on both sides, so couldn’t just build a 2 car garage…

Comment

• So, what is one to do with limited space? Get creative… We would make it taller… So, we dismantled the old one, excavated down about 1 meter… We got rid of the concrete steps to gain 1 meter of width, added about 3 meters toward the front to gain a small workshop in the back, added a 4 post lift to store both cars, and provide ease of access for some routine maintenance, and a little special addition of a 3m x 2m piece of walkable glass, to give a bit of a top down perspective on the cars… The idea I had seen all those years ago at the Pozzi Ferrari dealer in Paris, was now being implimented… Only took me 14 years…

Name:	Garage 2.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	125.4 KB
ID:	5678 Click image for larger version

Name:	Garage 3.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	217.3 KB
ID:	5673 Click image for larger version

Name:	Garage 4.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	238.7 KB
ID:	5675 Click image for larger version

Name:	Garage 5.jpg
Size:	190.1 KB
ID:	5671 Click image for larger version

Name:	Garage 7.jpg
Size:	271.3 KB
ID:	5677 Click image for larger version

Name:	Garage 8.jpg
Size:	229.5 KB
ID:	5674 Click image for larger version

Name:	Garage 9.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	111.6 KB
ID:	5672 Click image for larger version

Name:	Garage 10.jpg
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	5670 Click image for larger version

Name:	Garage 11.jpg
Size:	227.9 KB
ID:	5676 Click image for larger version

Name:	Garage 12.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	5669

Comment

• More garage photos

Name:	Garage 12A.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	116.9 KB
ID:	5683 Click image for larger version

Name:	Garage 13.jpg
Size:	113.5 KB
ID:	5688 Click image for larger version

Name:	Garage 14.jpg
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	5686 Click image for larger version

Name:	Garage 15.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	5680 Click image for larger version

Name:	Garage 16.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	183.4 KB
ID:	5687 Click image for larger version

Name:	Garage 17.jpg
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	5685 Click image for larger version

Name:	Garage 18.jpg
Size:	148.8 KB
ID:	5684 Click image for larger version

Name:	Garage 19.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	5682 Click image for larger version

Name:	Garage 20.jpg
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	5681

Comment

• mathieulecomte
                          mathieulecomte
                          '65 Bahama 912
                          mathieulecomte commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Absolutely love the garage set up given the amount of space you have - and the view of the car while having a drink on the deck, this great!

• dwa911
                          dwa911
                          Hasta la vista... Baby
                          dwa911 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Thanks Mathieu! We worked really hard to maximise the space... just couldn't go any wider, and to excavate back into the hill was crazy money... So, the is it! I can still even put in a small mezzanine for storage or if my wife kicks me out, to sleep!

• simonjb
                          simonjb commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Looks fantastic

• GEARBOX PART 2:

The gearbox was sent to be EB Motorsport to be machined and made ready for reassembly… It would get all the 915 fixes and upgrades (https://eb-motorsport.com/915-gearbox-machining/), including selector shaft bushings, carrier bearing modification, final drive / differential housing bearing bridal and piece retainer, new stiffer side cover, main case bearing bridal, RS/RSR oil cooler spray prep and the assembly… And be ready for a full cooler if needed…

Name:	Gearbox Machined 1.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	5690 Click image for larger version

Name:	Gearbox Machined 2.jpg
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	5692 Click image for larger version

Name:	Gearbox Machined 3.jpg
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	5693 Click image for larger version

Name:	Gearbox Machined 4.jpg
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	5691

Comment

• GIVE ME TRACTION:

We also obtained a limited slip differential… I wanted a plate type, and considered a used ZF and having Matt rebuild it, or a new Guard, but being in the UK, I ended up having a chat with Richard Tuthill, and he said both were great choices, but he recommended a KAAZ unit reworked by them, as that is what they use for their rally and race cars, and they have survived many many hard rally miles without fault… Also to upgrade the 915 output flanges… So, that is what we went with… It was a tough decision not to go with Guard, and I may end up there at some point in the future… Let’s see…

Click image for larger version  Name:	LSD 1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	51.9 KB ID:	5695 Click image for larger version  Name:	LSD 2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	55.0 KB ID:	5696

Guard will probably be the choice for gear ratios… But, ratios would need to wait until we got the engine rebuilt and the dyno numbers to calculate…

One thing I was pretty sure of, was I wanted to limit top speed to around a theoretical 160 MPH / 257 KPH @ 8,000 RPM… I was thinking for the straight sections top speed briefly seen at the end of the Hanger straight at Silverstone, the Kemmel straight at Spa and several sections at Monza just before before the braking points… I wouldn’t really want to go any faster than that, even if the car could manage it – maybe it could with a draft at Monza… In Norbert Singer’s notes from the 1973 Daytona 24 hour race referencing the Brumos winning car - 5th gear was a 29/22, which for an 2.8 high butterfly MFI RSR, would be roughly a theoretical 172 MPH / 277 KPH @ 8,000 RPM, and I’m sure they were taking drafting into consideration…

To be honest, I’m more focused on gearing for quick acceleration and good spacing… I’m not going to go with an “active” “tall” 1st… remembering the “north star”… 1235 is for the road first, circuit second… I’m not sure I even want to see those top speeds even if the car could attain it… Things can break, even on a newly built car… 1235 won’t have a full roll cage, and she is an old car, even if rebuilt… We’ll see…

I also need to think about “north star” trade offs… would short gearing be too annoying on the motorway / autoroute / autostrada / autobahn… I’ve got to get to those circuits, and 1235 is going to be driven, not trailered…
                          dwa911
                          Hasta la vista... Baby
                          Last edited by dwa911; 07-17-2022, 06:36 AM.

Comment

• AND THEN THERE WERE TWO:

After quite a bit of time… Driving my wife, Leon and Joost crazy… And just about anyone else that would listen… I narrowed it down to two colours…

Pastel Blue (https://rennbow.org/porsche-colors/PastelBlue)

And

Glacier Blue (https://rennbow.org/porsche-colors/GlacierBlue)

So, we had 2 samples made, and then we took a look at them with 1235… Then we took them home, and committed to making a decision in a couple of days…

Name:	Colour 1.jpg
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	5699 Click image for larger version

Name:	Colour 2.jpg
Size:	120.9 KB
ID:	5700 Click image for larger version

Name:	Colour 3.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	140.0 KB