X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 67SWT View Post
    Is free speech a good thing when the contents of such speech are just outright divisive lies that promotion of hate?.
    It's certainly an important question. I'd argue that yes, free speech is always a good thing even when we disagree with what's being said. But even if I didn't feel that way, the problem is that the arbiters at Twitter who make these decisions have lost all credibility by abusing their power and using the cover of "fake news" and "hate speech" only to promote fake news and lies themselves - and all with no consequence.

Exhibit #1 - Hunter Biden's laptop.

Comment

BTW, I can promise everyone that we're not going to see a sudden tolerance of hate speech and racism under Musk's watch. If nothing else, he's a businessman first and it wouldn't be good business.

Comment

Is free speech a good thing when the contents of such speech are just outright divisive lies that promotion of hate? I am a fan of Musk's can do attitude. I do worry about unfiltered rhetoric that pits different groups of people against each other on false pretense.
        Now we're cookin.

Please share with us an example of "outright divisive lies" so that we have context.
        Thanks.
        Old, white cisgender male oppressor.
        Influencer/Life Coach.

www.beckseuropean.com

Comment

What would make racism off the table. Free speech is free speech right? Where do you draw the the line, if you say racism is off the table then there must a moderator to some degree. Who gets to be the moderator?????? I am not saying there is an easy question to answer, I just worry that we have someone like Musk or whoever having the power to make decisions for the rest of us? I guess that is how things have always been. Funny my wife and I had this discussion on the way home. My point being there is always gray, not everything is black and white.
          67SWT
          Craig Williams
          Last edited by 67SWT; 04-25-2022, 08:11 PM.

Comment

What would make racism off the table. Free speech is free speech right? Where do you draw the the line, if you say racism is off the table then there must a moderator to some degree. Who gets to be the moderator?????? I am not saying there is an easy question to answer, I just worry that we have someone like Musk or whoever having the power to make decisions for the rest of us? I guess that is how things have always been. Funny my wife and I had this discussion on the way home. My point being there is always gray, not everything is black and white.
            The word "racism" has been so thoroughly abused in the last couple of years you would need to define it.

Just curious: Is CRT "racist"?
            Influencer/Life Coach.

www.beckseuropean.com

Comment

Frank it's nice to know you haven't lost your edge.

Comment

I've just started. And more vested than ever.

My question still stands: Is CRT racist?

I just worry that we have someone like Musk or whoever having the power to make decisions for the rest of us? I guess that is how things have always been.
                Were you "worried" before? When the game was completely rigged and censorship tilted against the red team to a degree that was so egregious that it's literally criminal?

Chickens have come home to roost. Blue team and the State Media absolutely hate it when rules apply equally.
                Influencer/Life Coach.

www.beckseuropean.com

Comment

Awesome.

Excited Will Ferrell GIF by HBO Max

Comment

The first amendment only applies to the government, twitter, FB,Instagram etc. are private companies so they are permitted to ban or edit whomever they want. I am sure twitter will continue to do some of that, in which direction who knows.
                    As far as CRT goes, i've read some on this and really don't know exactly what the term means, it's used as a trigger word, but I bet 98% of those who mention it have no real understanding of what is meant by it.
                    I'ld love to hear what Franks' interpretation is.

Comment

David,

Critical Theory was established by a group of German Marxist thinkers known as the Frankfurt School. As a theory with intellectual roots in Marxism, it’s not surprising that Critical Race Theory and other critical theories view all Western values—including the nuclear family, religious freedom, and Judeo-Christian conceptions of morality—as inherently oppressive. For example, CRT proponents reject American ideals such as equal treatment under the law or hard work because they view them as rooted in oppression. They see them as conduits through which privilege and power are projected throughout society.

Any theory would immediately lose me at "inherently oppressive". Oh... and also Marxism is a bad look too.

If someone has a definition of CRT that's drastically different than what my white privilege has allowed here, I'm all ears.
                      Influencer/Life Coach.

www.beckseuropean.com

Comment

I am in the insurance industry (hated - I know) and live in CA. The industry is regulated to a non-sensible degree here, which not only makes doing business challenging but it actually has negative impacts on consumers. I will say I got a chuckle from his tweet to the insurance commissioner of CA that “he should be voted out of office”. I also share Musk’s frustrations with the many unfortunate things happening in CA - born and raised here, but I will be leaving the state, just as Musk did with Tesla.

Comment

It's really pretty simple, isn't it?

Click image for larger version

Name:	elon.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	758

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Beck View Post
                            David,

Critical Theory was established by a group of German Marxist thinkers known as the Frankfurt School. As a theory with intellectual roots in Marxism, it’s not surprising that Critical Race Theory and other critical theories view all Western values—including the nuclear family, religious freedom, and Judeo-Christian conceptions of morality—as inherently oppressive. For example, CRT proponents reject American ideals such as equal treatment under the law or hard work because they view them as rooted in oppression. They see them as conduits through which privilege and power are projected throughout society.

Any theory would immediately lose me at "inherently oppressive". Oh... and also Marxism is a bad look too.

If someone has a definition of CRT that's drastically different than what my white privilege has allowed here, I'm all ears.
                            Frank, I plead ignorance on what is meant by CRT. Do you have any reading suggestions to better understand the subject?
                            As far as inherent or subliminal racism goes, it is pretty much a worldwide problem. Slowly changes are occurring, but we really are the first generation to acknowledge and confront the problem. When I was in elementary the schools were still segregated and my grandmother even considered italians as inferior!
                            We still have a long road.

Comment

Gotta tell you guys, this thread is giving me hope. One of the things that I think bothered many of us about the old hang was the ridiculous moderation of anything remotely political or controversial. As if we were children. For me, it came down to the fact that I've developed real relationships with so many of you. Guys who have been to my shop like
                              flatsixer
                              aka rstarga
                              flatsixer, guys I text/talk with all the time like
                              soterik
                              HTH....!
                              soterik, guys I've eaten meals with like
                              Frank Beck
                              Banned
                              Frank Beck, and guys I've been to ballgames with like
                              CVLC. As friends, there are times I'm going to want to discuss topics with you beyond just cars. And that's because I value your opinions. Yes, we're going to disagree at times but that's the value of the conversation - debating a difference of opinion with people you respect. I always believed those conversations could and should happen and that as grown-ups we could all handle it. I'm starting to think I was right.

Comment

Originally posted by flatsixer View Post

Frank, I plead ignorance on what is meant by CRT. Do you have any reading suggestions to better understand the subject?
                                As far as inherent or subliminal racism goes, it is pretty much a worldwide problem. Slowly changes are occurring, but we really are the first generation to acknowledge and confront the problem. When I was in elementary the schools were still segregated and my grandmother even considered italians as inferior!
                                We still have a long road.
                                lol
                                Now you're just messin with me!

Just in case you're not...

Where do you get your news?
                                Ever heard of Loudoun County, VA?
                                Are you familiar with FL House Bill 1557 protecting parental rights from child predators, also called teachers and administrators? (Only half laughing right now. ?)

I appreciate your innocence but gobsmacked how U.S. voters don't know about Critical Race Theory and just how racist and toxic it is. Fortunately its advocates will fade away into obscurity and just like Marxism, will fail.

As far as the U.S. being a "racist" country... I have to agree. But not the way you think. Programs and mindset like CRT have reignited a fire that was all but cold ashes until about 2008.
                                Influencer/Life Coach.

www.beckseuropean.com

Comment

Working...
                                X