Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A place for the cars with the overhead cam 4 cylinder engines.

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A place for the cars with the overhead cam 4 cylinder engines.

I thought I'd make a place for what I call 2 CAM 4 powered cars. It can be a POLO or an Emory. A 912, a 356, a reproduced 904, or maybe someday a 914. To be honest, if I had the money to build another 2 CAM 4 car, a 914 POLO would already be on the road.
    At this point I know haul, Doug, and myself are part of the 2 CAM 4 world. Over on the 912bbs there are a couple more. Maybe they'll show up on this thread.
    To start this off I'll post a couple pictures of Doug's car in raw metal. Hood, front splitter, decklid, rear bumperettes, and rear license panel are aluminum. One is of the rear aluminum decklid being formed. That front bumper is stock steel for a little protection. Those slats took a fair amount of energy to pound out.
    For me these cars aren't about big six power but lightness in the hind quarters and agility. They make about the same power as stock E's and S's in the long hoods of like displacement. My 2.4 at sea level makes around 180 to 195 hp with 80 pounds less weight behind the rear axles. That's a good thing in my SWB car with average at best driving skills like me.
    Attached Files
    Chris Pomares
    2.4L
    Last edited by Chris Pomares; 07-12-2022, 06:02 PM.

Thanks for starting this thread Chris. Now, please post some pics of your beast!

Comment

1.Randy Wells picture in Little Cottonwood Canyon at the Utah Parade for an Excellence article. The car is specked much different now. On different Porsche sites and my website I think it's had over 500,000 page views from around the world at this point. It's sneaking up on 200,000 on Early 911S alone.
      https://www.excellence-mag.com/issue...s/less-is-more
      3 more articles here. www.reSeeWorks.com
      2.The original owners lived in San Louis Obispo. They went to Monterey every year and were very good autocross drivers.
      3.World's first 912 POLO ready for some fun.
      4.The POLO on a engine stand.
      5.This cars newest front suspension setup.
      Attached Files
      Chris Pomares
      2.4L
      Last edited by Chris Pomares; 07-07-2022, 10:53 AM.

Comment

Group 2.
        1.2022. Every pickup point is right on.
        2.Checking the jack point extension to make sure it has proper body clearance on the backside to mount properly.
        3.Elephant's GT3 type front suspension.
        4&5.The next two are suspension reinforcement for coil overs.
        Attached Files
        Chris Pomares
        2.4L
        Last edited by Chris Pomares; 07-07-2022, 10:53 AM.

Comment

Group 3.
          1.Front reinforcement plate.
          2.Machined openings for the two fuel lines.
          3.Interior.
          4.My custom recliners. No auto recline anymore. I sold about 25 sets some years back. My polisher and chromer quit. For this set it was $700 just for chrome.
          5.Custom sway bar bushings. They work awesome.
          Attached Files
          Chris Pomares
          2.4L
          Last edited by Chris Pomares; 07-07-2022, 11:02 AM.

Comment

Group 4. More to come later of Doug's car.
            1.Custom adapters for the 42 mm piston rear calipers.
            2.20.64 mm master. Perfect for the Boxster front and 42 mm piston rear calipers.
            3.Getting the fuel pickup moved to align through the crossbar machined openings.
            4.Rear spring plate jack point extensions.
            5.Oversize front fuel filter. The one in the engine compartment is over twice as big. It's behind the coil packs.
            These four sets of pictures are a very small fraction of the personalized things done to the car.
            Doug's car will go way way upscale from this car.
            Attached Files
            Chris Pomares
            2.4L
            Last edited by Chris Pomares; 07-07-2022, 11:09 AM.

Comment

I have to admit that this very built of Chris has been my inspiration and for his encouragement to continue with my own built I will always be grateful…thank you Chris
              erwin_loves_polo

Comment

Thanks haul. I appreciate the nice words. I would love to see some pictures of your project. If your POLO is a 2.4 you should see power somewhere in this range.
                I think mine make a littles more as my 993 heads are ported and flow half way between a stock 993 and a 3.8RS head. Dean put them on a flow bench along with a stock head and a 3.8RS head. The heads also have titanium valves for whatever that's worth. This engine is a 2.4 with stock 993 heads and it topped out at 186 hp.
                Attached Files
                Chris Pomares
                2.4L
                Last edited by Chris Pomares; 07-07-2022, 10:47 AM.

Comment

Thanks for starting this Chris. Good learning experience for me on these special projects. Are these engines still dry sump?

Comment

Rick,
                    Yes, dry sump. They use all 911 oil plumbing. My car has both driver and passenger custom triple loop trombone coolers as well as the early 911 engine oil cooler. I cut up four coolers to make two. The oil system holds 13 quarts. With this setup I can run as hard as I want on a 100 degree day and the oil temperature sits at 190 degrees. I think the longer I can keep the oil out of the engine the better. The crossover lines and the drivers side cooler seem to make a huge difference. This setup is probably more than what's needed. Two 73RS double loop coolers is probably enough. But I'm only interested in doing things that I've never seen before.
                    I had a single 84-89 Carrera cooler on the passenger side before. It just didn't look right to me on a 67. On a hot day the car would hit 220 degrees and I would back off. I don't know how hot the oil would have gotten if I hadn't backed off.
                    We're going to do some unique stuff to Doug's POLO car concerning oil cooling. His is a 2.7 and will make even more heat. His car will have duel front oil coolers with air dispersed behind the headlights to hit both oil coolers evenly top to bottom.
                    Attached Files
                    Chris Pomares
                    2.4L
                    Last edited by Chris Pomares; 07-12-2022, 06:20 PM.

Comment

Just read the Excellence article, wow, jealous!

Comment

Rick,
                        It's been 11 years of tinkering to dial this car in. The specs have changed a lot since that article. I need to update all that on my website. Now that I have coil overs I'm trying different springs to get the handing where I want it. For me tinkering on the car is as much fun as driving it.
                        Here are a couple of pictures of Doug's oil system.
                        There will be a front scoop were the lines turn to the rear by the front wheel well. Fresh air will be added two times as the oil runs along those lines. The hot air will be exhausted out to the rear. Will this cover change the oil temps much up or down? Probably not. I just think it looks cool. The cover plate over the old passenger side battery box is designed to hold an inline fan inside if the oil gets too hot in stop and go driving. I don't think it will be needed but it can be added if the need arises.
                        Attached Files
                        Chris Pomares
                        2.4L
                        Last edited by Chris Pomares; 07-12-2022, 06:22 PM.

Comment

The upgrade of the upgrade for a little more stopping power. I had a little initial brake squish with the 19 mm master. The 20.64 Golf master took care of that. The feel is perfect. We also went from 20 mm SC rotors to 24 mm Carrera rotors.
                          With Doug's car we'll look at either Boxster or Elephant's 930 type calipers at all four corners. In that case we'll go to the 22 mm Golf master. I have a new 23 mm ATE master on the shelf. If anyone's interested, I'll sell it.
                          Attached Files
                          Chris Pomares
                          2.4L
                          Last edited by Chris Pomares; 07-12-2022, 06:30 PM.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1723.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	5356 It looks like my little 912 will go over 200,000 page views on the other 911 site tomorrow. Never in my wildest dreams did I think that would ever happen. I'm blown away. This is a little more focused 911 group over here. So any interest shown here is very special.
                            Chris Pomares
                            2.4L
                            Last edited by Chris Pomares; 07-13-2022, 07:28 AM.

Comment

Did a car show today. The car was a favorite last year and one of two featured this year.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X